Friday, May 29, 2009

You Can't Take It With You (1938)


The children of 2 very different families fall in love. But when the rich stuffy family meets the other good-natured but eccentric one, disaster ensues.

Nominated for 7 Oscars:

Best Picture (WINNER)
Best Director: Frank Capra (WINNER)
Best Supporting Actress: Spring Byington
Best Writing, Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Sound

I started watcing this film quite sure that I won't like it; I had seen a couple of scenes from it before, so I was familiar with its mood and story. However, I was part wrong: it's a sweet little movie, easy to watch and with a couple of laughs here and there.
It's not as wacky or screwball as they wanted it to be, and although it's a good movie, I'm not sure it deserved the Oscars for Best Picture and Best Director (I haven't seen the competition, so I really can't tell; however, it doesn't really feel like an... Oscar movie). The nomination for Best Supporting Actress is rather absurd as the actress playing one of the mothers does nothing else but sit around, with no big scenes and no subtle moves either. Lionel Barrymore (playing the grandfather of the crazy family) is quite great and he would've deserved a Best Actor nomination.
It's fun at times, very talkative (thaaaa, it's based on a play) and with lots of moral stuff in it. Jean Arthur (the blonde chick) is sweet and funny; James Stewart is ok, but rather ignorable. It's a film that has boring moments, but when it goes really nutty, you can spot one or two creative ideas that will actually make you laugh.
My rating for the film: 8/10. I'm being generouse; it's a feel good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment