Thursday, September 24, 2009

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957)


A Marine and a Nun, both shipwrecked on a Pacific Island, find solace in one another as the two wait out the war. [imdb]

Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Actress: Deborah Kerr
Best Adapted Screenplay

Such a small, simple film. A simple story, with beautiful cinematography and an exotic landscape. Two main characters and their interactions. Robert gives a very natural performance, very likeable. Deborah is kind, gentle, it's a subtle performance that works for the most of it.
I don't feel like saying much about this movie. In a way, it just went by me. I felt like saying: so what. But at other times, I appreciated the simplicity of it. It's a slow film, with not much going on (or nothing groundbreaking), yet NOT boring. The direction is good, but the adapted screenplay nomination is mostly a category filler.
My rating for the film: 7/10. Very soon I'll see it again. Strangely, it's like I haven't even seen it. Some might appreciate it much more.

2 comments:

  1. I think your rating it good and right. It's a fine film and I do love Deborah Kerr. It's not very bad or very good...but it's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing. I'll have to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete