Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Farmer's Daughter (1947)


Katie Holstrom leaves the farm to become a nurse, but is sidetracked into domestic service, romance, and politics. [imdb]

Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Actress: Loretta Young (WINNER)
Best Supporting Actor: Charles Bickford

The people who made this movie should've seen My Man Godfrey at least 3 times before starting to film this so-called romantic comedy. That's how you conquer this genre. I've seen worst attempts than The Farmer's Daughter. And it's actually not THAT bad: but it's too simple, predictable and not funny. I smiled once or twice, but that's it. NO comedic timing.
Loretta's win is mindblowing considering it's such a one-note & no laughter character. She tries; she really tries to do a bit more with it, but the screenplay knocks her down. I'll talk more about it in a couple of days on the other blog. Charles Bickford gives a nice grumpy performance as the butler, but again: not enough good material to highlight his talent.
My rating for the film: 3.5/10. Easy to watch, but so predictable, hardly believable and not funny.

2 comments:

  1. Mye, mye ... 3,5 ... You really didn't like thas.
    One of my favorite romantic picture. Not really a comedy as you say, and not very laughable, that's right.
    But "smilable" yes (in my opinion) with that charming scenario, some scenes I like very much, Barrymore (in one of her most enchantings performances), Cotten (I'm in love with him in the picture), Coburn (so funny) and Young (so peaceful, beautiful and with the perfect mixt of tenacity and kindness) giving unspectaculars but very "reals" performances.

    It works for me (who didn't like too much the Screwball more than romantic My Man Godfrey) as a romantic comedy. That doesn't mean it works for everybody !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot do something more than follow my instinct and judge on what I'm seeing :) we don't all have to agree. and I promise I had no prejudice against it.

    ReplyDelete