Friday, November 27, 2009

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980) (2nd time)


Biography of Loretta Lynn, a country and western singer that came from poverty to fame. [imdb]

Nominated for 7 Oscars:

Best Picture
Best Actress: Sissy Spacek (WINNER)
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Art Direction
Best Editing
Best Sound

Hmmm... biopics are hard to talk about. This one was different because (even the 2nd time around after a couple of years) I still don't know much about Loretta Lynn, so I didn't really make a comparison. Was this good or bad? I dunno. What I can say it that my face lighted everytime Beverly D'Angelo, who plays Patsy Cline appeared on screen, maybe because I obviously know who Patsy was...
Some Oscar nominations are worthy, some not. I'm sure they could've found a more interesting film to give the BP nomination to, but Coal Miner's Daughter is a well made movie. The screenplay is ok, the direction subtle but good, very nice cinematography & mostly good acting. Sissy won everything she could that year (too much if you'd ask me) and I'll write about her performance on the other blog; it's a tricky one, with a couple of great moments, but flat on many points. Tommy Lee Jones was ok and Beverly deserved a supporting nomination (very subjective opinion). However, at the end of it... what was the big story that deserved so much to be told?...
My rating for the film: 7/10. Better than most biopics and enjoyable. But again: what was so interesting?!

2 comments:

  1. I was expecting a lukewarm Sissy review. But you are right about the WTF Picture nod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I can't forgive you for being so unkind to WRITTEN ON THE WIND, but you're spot on when it comes to D'Angelo. Why did only the HFPA nominate her? She was the highlight of this conventional biopic.

    ReplyDelete