Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cinderella Liberty (1973)


A lonely Navy sailor falls in love with a hooker and becomes a surrogate father figure for her son. [wiki]

Nominated for 3 Oscars:

Best Actress: Marsha Mason
Best Original Score
Best Original Song

I've wanted to see this movie for a very long time! Why? Because of the spectacular Marsha Mason! :) I was right: she is terrific in this too. I'm not saying she deserved to win (hard to tell), but it's definitely a great achivement. [imo, she deserved to win in 77 and 81]. So I was excited when I finally got my hands on this.
But I was not expecting it to be a classic. And it's not. It's just well-told story, with good performances. Nothing amazing and the ending did not please me that much. James Caan gives a quiet, solid performance, but it's Marsha who, despite not being the true leading character, steals the show. The other 2 nominations are rather forgettable, as I don't remember anything from the Original Score (even though it's John Williams).
My rating for the film: 7/10. Nice effort.

1 comment:

  1. It would have been hard to beat "The Way We Were" that year...but you know, I can still recall some of the bluesy, harmonica-flavored score. I saw this movie many years ago, and actually thought Marsha Mason's performance was strong enough to sneak away with the Oscar. Thanks for remembering this one! ~Tom

    ReplyDelete