Friday, January 1, 2010

Private Benjamin (1980) (4th time?)


A sheltered young high society woman joins the army on a whim and finds herself in a more difficult situation than she ever expected. [imdb]

Nominated for 3 Oscars:

Best Actress: Goldie Hawn
Best Supporting Actress: Eileen Brennan
Best Original Screenplay

Nice way to go into the new year, right? I've seen it last night, before and after midnight. This is one of my childhood favorites, they used to show it a lot on tv. But I hadn't seen it in years, and it felt much shorter this time (even though it really isn't). It's probably one of Goldie's (LOVE HER) best comedies, next to Overboard and Housesitter. She really did redefine this wacky genre.
The movie is really really funny in the first 45 minutes or so. There's plenty of situation comedy and Goldie does give an excellent comedic performance. She's so sweet and perfect for this role. The second half, however, gets more romantic/serious, so we miss a lot of the silly comedy from the beginning. But even so, it's always a pleasure to watch. I think all the nominations are worthy, and the acting is fun and adequate for this type of movie.
My rating for the film: 8/10. It's a lot, I know, but it really is an underrated comedy (it has just 5.8 on imdb, which is absurd)!

4 comments:

  1. I think you're being generous, Alex.

    Sure the first half is wacky well-handled fun, but once she's out of training it becomes a different film and very unsure of itself. If it ended where it shopuld have ended I'd give it a 9, but given it goes on far too long probably a 6 sounds right.

    I'll admit I haven't seen it for a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, yes. I know I was generous. But it's a sentimental favorite :) so...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this, but Goldie is gold [forgive the cheese:)}

    ReplyDelete
  4. realllllyyy?
    well, it's a MUST for any Goldie admirer.

    I've just seen it again, counting Goldie's screentime for my Best Actress routine AND I have to stop defending the second part. It's less amusing, true! But the last scene is so eliberating, nicely shot and it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete