Monday, December 20, 2010

Georgy Girl (1966)


A homely but vivacious young woman dodges the amorous attentions of her father's middle-aged employer while striving to capture some of the glamorous life of her swinging London roommate. [imdb]

Nominated for 4 Oscars:

Best Actress: Lynn Redgrave
Best Supporting Actor: James Mason
Best Original Song
Best Cinematography, Black-and-White

This is one of those film you just know it was cool when it was released. And a bad film it's not, it just lacks a sense of direction and some experienced, more inspired writing. I did smiled at times, especially in the first half, but it's gets just really boring and unfocused at one point.
Lynn is clearly the star and she made me laugh at least in the Italian scene. She was just a 22 year old girl when she did the film and while you can sense the lack of experience, she definitely feels fresh and what the role needed. James Mason is fine, but nothing Oscar worthy, while the very young Charlotte Rampling is very sexy, bitchy and perfecty cast.
My rating for the film: 6/10. I'm sure it's a classic for many, but for me it doesn't succeed in any genre.

4 comments:

  1. The film is nothing special,but Lynn's performance is something special for me.She was great.I would've vote for Taylor but just barely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie is so incredibly weird. Lynn is great though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW what do you think about the Song? I think it's just brilliant! It was robbed of the win. I listened to it like thousand times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, I thought the song was interesting and catchy :P yes, I had it in my head about a day or so, but not as much as I imagine you did.

    I've never listened to the Born Free song that won, so I can't really judge.

    I still don't get it why Un Homme et Une Femme was snubbed for Original Score, which is unique (the guy did win 4 years later for Love Story, I think) and there were also a couple of songs there that could've been nominated I guess.

    ReplyDelete