Saturday, April 2, 2011

Country Strong (2010)

A drama centered on a rising country-music songwriter (Hedlund) who sparks with a fallen star (Paltrow). [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar
:

Best Original Song

I don't remember the last time I saw such a bad Oscar nominated film, and it's not like I suspected it: it came out of nowhere. Because Country Strong is almost unwatchable in its first hour: the screenplay is one of the worst that ever came my way, with dialogue and scenes that go beyond cliche, and so badly put together that they don't even create a cheesy enviroment, but an ambitious yet failing mess.

The one decent scene is with the sick child, but other than that: pure nonsense. Gwyneth has lost any real hunger for acting, and if I would've been in the Razzie judging group I would've definitely considered her for a nom. The rest of them are just floating around, because there's no real direction to this film. The songs are ok, none that seemed spectacular to me, but they couldn't save this trainwreck anyway.

My rating for the film: 2/10. I was considering a 2.5 or 3, but that wouldn't be fair to Alice in Wonderland, which seems quite thrilling by comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment