Friday, September 2, 2011

Swing Shift (1984)



A woman finds romance when she takes a job at an airport plant to help make ends meet after her husband goes off to war. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Supporting Actress: Christine Lahti


Oh boy, this film is a mess. I wanted something easy to watch, also with some Oscar nominations, and I chose this, because I had previously seen some scenes on TV. But it wasn't really what I expected (some romantic drama); in fact, it's a boring, predictable, melo non-sense with only one good performance.


Christine Lahti did deserve the Oscar nomination, because she's clearly the best by far; her acting gives such a contrast it's embarassing for the rest of the cast. With such a bad screenplay, she manages to create a likeable character, and the only real emotional one. Ed Harris is ok, Kurt Russell is ignorable, but Goldie Hawn gives... her worst performance ever. She can't even manage the easy scenes, while also being surprisingly dislikeable. It's sad.


My rating for the film: 3.5/10. I can't believe Jonathan Demme directed this waste of time.

1 comment:

  1. I also saw this recently...The film is nothing special,but i kinda like it more than you did.And agree on Christine Lahti,she was great.And also loved song in the end,which of course doesn't belong to this movie:)

    ReplyDelete