Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bowling for Columbine (2002)



Filmmaker Michael Moore explores the roots of America's predilection for gun violence. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Documentary, Features (WINNER)


This really was the first time I've seen Bowling for Columbine, even though I'm a fan of Michael Moore: Fahrenheit 9/11 is a 10/10 for me, at least on a documentary level. So why did I stay away from Bowling? I have no idea; I was probably saving it for later.


And it was worth the wait: it's an impressive, very interesting, very captivating documentary on violence in America. As a European, I really enjoyed it and was moved by it in a couple of key scenes; I'm not sure I would've been as excited had I been an American. He's criticizing the American society in a manner that would really annoy conservative patriots.


The comedy is also there and I liked a lot the short animation inside the documentary, about the history of violence in the United States. It really is the kind of film that people should learn a lesson from.


My rating for the film: 9/10. Truth hurts.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this movie a lot. Moore's often a bit too obvious and sensationalist, though (which got worse and worse in time).

    ReplyDelete