Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Help (2011) (2nd time)



An aspiring author during the civil rights movement of the 1960s decides to write a book detailing the African-American maids' point of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily basis. [imdb]

Nominated for 4 Oscars:

Best Picture
Best Actress: Viola Davis
Best Supporting Actress: Jessica Chastain
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer (WINNER)


Just like I tweeted yesterday, The Help seemed better the 2nd time around, as I was less annoyed by all the scenes Emma Stone has. It's not that she delivers a bad performance, but I prefer the more dramatic storylines that the film has to offer. I would've liked The Help more had it been less commercial; though, had it been less commercial, it's quite possible it wouldn't have been made at all.


Just like SAG noticed, what stand out in this film are the performances: Viola Davis, Allison Janney and especially Jessica Chastain are amazing. Octavia Spencer gives a fine performance that I respect a lot, but in my opinion Jessica should've been the one to actually win the Oscar. She creates such a memorable character, both fun & heartbreaking like this category hasn't seen in a while; it feels special. No point writing about Viola's performance here, I'll do that on Alex in Movieland, but I liked it quite a lot.


I think the film is well directed, easy to watch, the screenplay is ok for the most of it (minus the shit pie scene; it's distracting and I don't think it's something Minny would've done), but the film is overall too long.


My rating for the film: 7.5/10. The performances turn it into something special.

2 comments:

  1. It's nothing special, but a fine, enjoyable film. Viola is fantastic and the real highlight (yes, even though it was REALLY Meryl's award and yes, I still think she'll win next year, it's not a Fincher case, she did and will campaign plus she'll have an Oscar-friendly movie; I just hope she wins over Meryl so that the boohooers can finally relax), I love Octavia, Allison and Cicely (Chastain as well but she was FAR more deserving in The Tree of Life and shoulda won for that).

    I think it has set a new record for most Oscar scenes for most actresses in one movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say "far" more deserving, but I'd say this. From the 2011 films I've seen so far, in my yearly ballot right now, for Supp Actress, I have 1) Chastain for Tree of Life and 2) Chastain for The Help. :D
      she might make it also for number 3) when I'll see Take Shelter, who knows :P

      Delete