Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Travels with My Aunt (1972) (2nd time)

At his mother's funeral, stuffy bank clerk Henry Pulling meets his Aunt Augusta, an elderly eccentric with more-than-shady dealings. [imdb]

Nominated for 4 Oscars:
Best Actress: Maggie Smith
Best Cinematography
Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design (WINNER)
People love hating this, and I kind of understand why, since it's not a deep, meaningful film. It's a silly "comedy" with a screenplay that fails oh-so-many times. But when it gets a bit screwball, it almost works and I just couldn't be upset with it. It's light, it doesn't pretend to be anything it's not.
Much has been said about Maggie not being right for the part. I have less of an issue with that, since the makeup is good, and there are reasons to cast someone that might cover different decades. 
My rating for the film: 5.5/10. Silly film, but I wasn't offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment