Sunday, April 27, 2014

Executive Suite (1954)

When the head of a large manufacturing firm dies suddenly from a stroke, his vice-presidents vie to see who will replace him. [imdb]

Nominated for 4 Oscars:

Best Supporting Actress: Nina Foch
Best Cinematography, Black-and-White
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White
Best Costume Design, Black-and-White
 
There's no specific reason why I saw this film last night. I had always been curious about it, because I'd heard only great things and you have to admit the cast IS impressive: Holden, Stanwyck, March, Pidgeon, Winters, Calhern, Allyson, Jagger, Paul Douglas and... Oscar-nominee Nina Foch - her nomination is well deserved; she doesn't get big scenes, but she's a very reasurring presence.

It's probably one of the most business-y films I have ever seen, with a very serious tone and it grabs your attention. The speech at the end is quite excellent and the cinematography feels very special.

My rating for the film: 8.5/10. Stanwyck might just be best in show (though Pidgeon is great too). I assume she didn't accept to be campaigned as Supporting, otherwise she would've been nominated.

No comments:

Post a Comment