Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wag the Dog (1997) (2nd time)

Shortly before an election, a spin-doctor and a Hollywood producer join efforts to fabricate a war in order to cover up a presidential sex scandal. [imdb]

Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Actor: Dustin Hoffman
Best Adapted Screenplay



 
I think it's been almost a decade since first watching this film and I was curious, really curious, to see it again. I remembered parts of it, but I wasn't sure my feelings on it were still accurate. You know how sometimes you're maybe too young for some of these smart films. Also, Dustin's Oscar nomination is still fascinating - don't get me wrong, he fully deserves it (!) as he is fantastic in the role - but it seems like an unusual one, for a role that's not flashy in the classic Oscar way, nor dramatic.

So I liked the film even more the second time. Because it's relaxing, easy to watch, amusing and very well written. There's not one boring moment in it. Anne Heche is surprisingly good, De Niro is fine, but it's Dustin who steals the spotlight. He brings the humour and the outrageous aspects, in an exciting performance.

My rating for the film: 9/10. It was my initial intention of going with 8.5/10. Most people would find the 9/10 waaaaaay too generous, but hey - I enjoyed it, for the silly satire it is.

1 comment: