Friday, July 17, 2009

Love Field (1992)


1963. A good spirited woman desperate to get to JFK's funeral crosses paths with a black man and his daughter, creating drama in their lives. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Actress: Michelle Pfeiffer

This small film gave me quite a surprise. I expected it to be a pain to watch, but at points it was really enjoyable and thrilling. So it was a nice surprise, and I would say the film itself is better than Michelle's performance. The story is dramatic, it's the type of storyline that would normally annoy me, with bad shit happening to good people. But it's not crazy disturbing, as I would've been upset if they would've gone too far.
It's a film about racism, loneliness and dealing with emotional pain. Dennis Haysbert gives a wonderful performance as a man who just wants to take his daughter to safety and tries to keep calm as everything goes wrong around him. Michelle Pfeiffer is definitely a presence, but not always a stellar one. Her performance has good moments, but it lacks focus at times or she overdoes the southern accent. The nomination seems fair, but definitely not a win. I would've also nominated it for Best Original Screenplay.
My rating for the film: 7.5/10. It's good drama and those who've seen it probably love as much as I do the scenes from the old woman's house. The film would've probably been better known had Denzel Washington accepted the male part.

No comments:

Post a Comment