Friday, July 31, 2009

The Three Faces of Eve (1957)

A doctor treats a woman suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Actress: Joanne Woodward (WINNER)

I look at the poster on the right and the woman looks nothing like Joanne Woodward :D these marketing guys are terrible. Other than that, I must admit I have a thing for Joanne. It's not sexual; and I don't think it's based on her acting talent, as I've only seen 5-6 movies of hers (but she's a great actress, still). I find her face to be fascinating; her eyes are some of the most gorgeous I've ever seen. She has an exotic feel (especially in her 60s movies) and she looks like someone I'd admire and respect. Somehow, most of her characters seem to be a bit whinny, but in the sweetest & most delicious way. I just want to hug her. :D
Getting back to the film: it's like a docudrama and it's based (though I'm not sure how accurate) on real events. The film is rather short, simple, nothing that special about. Truth is Eve depends entirely on Joanne's performance; based on the story construction, it's almost a one woman show. And she delivers, even though I didn't LOVE the performance. It's a tough role to play and multiple personality is not the type of subject I enjoy. But Joanne did her best and most importantly she made it look believable. The Oscar win might be worthy. And as I think of it now... the role sounds crazy baity, but it's not THAT flashy. I must also congratulate her for making all 3 personalities look distinctive; it really is a great achievement. (My favorite one was Eve Black, the naughty :P ).
My rating for the film: 7/10. Hard to rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment