Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)


A traveling theater company gives its audience much more than they were expecting. Fantasy. [imdb]

Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design

Worst 2009 movie I’ve seen so far. And yes, I did see Transformers II; and The Lovely Bones. :P But Imaginarium beats them all: to me it’s a ridiculous attempt of a fantasy movie slash mystery slash love story, with a very amateurish screenplay, filled with story gaps and screenplay solutions. Terry Gilliam is so overrated. Somebody needed to just say that.

And it’s not that messy from the beginning. It just doesn’t go anywhere. Too bad this was Heath’s last movie. Trying to ignore the quality of the film, his performance is also pretty bad. That Lily Cole girl is nice to look at, the cameos partly improvised and the visual stuff: horrific. I might accept a Costume Design nomination; I might. But one for Art Direction is so not deserved: what for? A wagon and awful computer design?!

My rating for the film: 2.5/10. Definitely a time waster.

2 comments:

  1. I admit it's not one of Gilliam's best, and Ledger's a bit of a disaster, but Andrew Garfield is brilliant and the concept is truly interesting.

    And any Tom Waits cameo automatically gets five points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno... I just didn't dig it at all

    ReplyDelete