Thursday, June 3, 2010

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) (2nd time)


After rescuing Han Solo from the palace of Jabba the Hutt, the Rebels attempt to destroy the Second Death Star, while Luke Skywalker tries to bring his father back to the Good Side of the Force. [imdb]

Nominated for 4 Oscars:

Best Original Score
Best Art Direction
Best Sound
Best Sound Editing
+ Special Achievement Award for Visual Effects (*WINNER*)

At the end of the film, when everybody's celebrating the success of Good over Evil, there's a scene with Luke seeing the ghosts/spirits of dead Jedi warriors/masters. And who do you think is next to Obi Wan (Alec Guinness) and Yoda??? Hayden freakin' Christensen (who was like 2 yo in 1983)!!! :))) I can't believe they've added him in this copy... cause it's so weird (***sorry for people who have no idea what I'm talking about***)... George Lucas, you're such a cheater!
Getting back to the film: it's obviously the weakest of the original 3! Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher seem so embarassed to be there (Carrie's acting is pretty bad), the action is kind of weak, not a lot of stuff happening plotwise... those funny furry creatures are cute, but the good guys really suck in this episode. A big plus: of course, my beloved Emperor, such a cool looking villain.
My rating for the film: 7/10. It kind of drags along. But still ok for someone with a weak spot for Star Wars, like I have.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex, I love reading your stuff!

    I agree with you on all accounts; this entry was a BIG step down from the first two (which are the only great ones), and the plot just doesn't have that creative spark andd imagination that the first two did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the light sabre fight between Luke and Vadar, just about the best from the movies, but other then that this isn't much more than a tying up of the loose ends from the last film.

    I'm not sure why you just watched this on it's own - I don't think I could watch it without the first 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watched it on its own. I watched again the other 2 originals last year. they're on the tags on the right

    ReplyDelete