Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Airport '77 (1977)


Art thieves hijack a 747, hit fog and crash into the ocean, trapping the passengers under 100 feet of water. [imdb]

Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design

First of all, let me mention the Oscar nominations, because they put a smile on my face and I really need one today. :) Can you believe this competed with Star Wars for Art Direction and Costumes?? I can accept the Art Direction to a certain point (although in the end it's just an airplane under water), but costume design?! We are talking legendary Edith Head (the only element to justify the nomination), but seriously: all of the wardrobe could've been bought from the mall in half a day! Ridiculous.
And now let's name the famous actors showing up in this silly disaster movie: James Stewart, Olivia de Havilland, Joseph Cotten, Jack Lemmon, Lee Grant. It's because of such cast and because I wanted a fun disaster movie I got to watch this. And let's face it: it's a flop and the acting isn't great either. Lee Grant is doing her routine hysterical stuff trying for an Oscar nom and Miss de Havilland, though touching, hardly gets a decent scene. The underwater stuff is pretty ok, but who could believe the story???
My rating for the film: 3.5/10. I am prepared to watch soon the first Airport film, which I haven't seen in a very long time.

3 comments:

  1. This movie has a sentimental value for me. I used to love these kind of disaster-movies when I was a child and this was one of my favorites (Back then I had no idea who the actors were except for James and Olivia but I totally remember Lee Grant!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I also really love disaster movies. I just don't think it worked that fine even in that category. But hey, it was an easy watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched it only because Jack Lemmon is my favorite actor. I was very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete