Monday, August 16, 2010

Bull Durham (1988) (2nd time)


A fan who has an affair with one minor-league baseball player each season meets an up-and-coming pitcher and the experienced catcher assigned to him. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Original Screenplay

I don't know what was I thinking when I imagined I'm gonna enjoy this more the second time around. I am blaming the film bloggers who keep saying how underrated Bull Durham is + those critics groups giving it a Screenplay win all around. I had first seen it yeeeears ago and it felt decent, but this time it was a bit painful and so boring at times.
I'm sure I'd enjoy it more, if I'd have any idea about baseball. In Europe we breathe soccer and that's it! But putting that aside (cause the film is more about the love triangle), it's still flawed and it loses even more in the second part. The actors however are pretty good: Tim Robbins is right for the part, Susan Sarandon is ok (not as incredible as some are shouting around), but the best performance comes from a young Kevin Costner, who probably delivers a career best.
My rating for the film: 5.5/10. I think Oscar did well, not getting tricked by the critics. It was a 5/10 before I changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment