Saturday, November 20, 2010

Toy Story (1995)


A cowboy toy is profoundly threatened and jealous when a fancy spaceman toy supplants him as top toy in a boy's room. [imdb]

Nominated for 3 Oscars:

Best Original Screenplay
Best Original Musical or Comedy Score
Best Original Song
+ Special Achievement Award for Animation techniques (WINNER)

The perspective of having to see Toy Story 3 forced me into finally seeing this first film and, very soon, all trilogy. Why did I wait so long when I knew this was a revolutionary animated feature? It's because I thought it would look dated and that it would be a boring story. And, of course, I was wrong; but happy to be so.
While it doesn't blow you away like today's computer generated animation, the film WORKS and doesn't look gimmicky. It's colorful and MOST IMPORTANTLY it's very very funny and creative. I expected a simple story, but the screenplay is just great, with lots of twists and turns and always keeping humor and a sharp eye for detail. I actually think it should've won the screenplay Oscar. To me it's up there with all the newer stuff like Finding Nemo and Wall E!
My rating for the film: 8.5/10. Had I seen it back then, I would've probably given it even more! But a very entertaining, smart film and what a capable, strong direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment