Thursday, February 21, 2013

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

**Seen on October 27th, 2012**

A pair of young lovers flee their New England town, which causes a local search party to fan out and find them. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Original Screenplay

Wes Anderson is a director with a lot of style, his films are usually easy to recognize. And I think that's why I respect him more as a director than an actual screenwriter. A lot of people seem to like Moonrise Kingdom, but I wasn't one of them. To me, the film IS a big "so what"... It's exaggerated beyond belief, it's never really funny, not even in a witty way... It has one or two interesting characters, but I felt it turned boring really quickly.
The Production Design is really REALLY nice, the costumes are fun, but the story isn't. Not  a lot of interesting acting either - Tilda Swinton makes for a delicious cameo, Bruce Willis brings a bit of heart, Edward Norton is ok... and that's about it. I thought the 2 leads make it all seem a bit fake. Frances McDormand is playing the same old thing again and again.
My rating for the film: 6/10. I don't hate it, I just didn't find anything worthy in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment