Saturday, April 13, 2013

Flight (2012)

**Seen on December 25th, 2012**


An airline pilot saves almost all his passengers on his malfunctioning airliner which eventually crashed, but an investigation into the accident reveals something troubling. [imdb]


Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Actor: Denzel Washington
Best Original Screenplay

It's not that I have to go back so far in my memory to remember Flight, it's just that's it's that kind of commercial thin story that made me roll my eyes more than once as the film was progressing. The part that involves the crash of the plane is nicely put together. The story of the man is interesting & it has potential. But the way that it's all written on paper, the emotions, the reactions, that doesn't succeed and it's the screenplay's fault.

Worst part: the screenplay itself got nominated (!) and no need for me to underline how little it deserves to be there. The ending alone, by that I mean literally the final scene(s), is ridiculous with a happy ending that feels oh-so-fake. Denzel gives an ok performance, but in such a strong year for leading actors and actors in general, this was not a performance worthy to make it to the final line-up. The film however is totally watchable, but I have little respect for it other that some technical stuff.

My rating for the film: 5.5/10. Kelly Reilly's performance is quite a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment