Saturday, April 13, 2013

Frankenweenie (2012)

**Seen on December 27th, 2012**

Young Victor conducts a science experiment to bring his beloved dog Sparky back to life, only to face unintended, sometimes monstrous, consequences. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:
Best Animated Feature

I've never seen Corpse Bride, so I had no idea, no precedent of knowing what Tim Burton can do with animation. I didn't hate Dark Shadows, but I did hate Alice in Wonderland, so my love story with Burton hasn't been on a high note lately. Frankenweenie I don't love, but I respect the project, the work put into it, because you can tell the passion of its author.
It's flaw is that it gets a bit predictable, and I can see how it was more suited for a short-form feature / animation. Even so, I smiled my way through it, because it's charming, and also a bit scary (depending on how/when you see it) and I appreciate quite a lot this special technique of animation. Nice score, classic pace.
My rating for the film: 7.5/10. There's always room for better, but quite a worthy nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment