Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bell, Book and Candle (1958)

A modern-day witch likes her neighbor but despises his fiancee, so she enchants him to love her instead... only to fall in love with him for real. [imdb]
Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design

I love witches and cats. And I think Kim Novak is very beautiful. These are the reasons why I chose to see this film. But it didn't work out for me. :(
James Stewart is too old for her, the screenplay seems to have lots of gaps and the supporting characters are quite annoying and don't help the film. It doesn't have enough magic, it should've been more creative & crazy.
But it's rather chic, Kim does look like a cat :P and the 2 Oscar nominations are well deserved. It's a missed opportunity and a remake IS needed.
My rating for the film: 5/10. I'm afraid I might not be a James Stewart fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment