Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Shampoo (1975)

Election Eve, 1968: the "adventures" of a Beverly Hills hairdresser and the women he's f*cking.

Nominated for 4 Oscars:

Best Supporting Actor: Jack Warden
Best Supporting Actress: Lee Grant (WINNER)
Best Original Screenplay
Best Art Direction

Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn - what a cast, right? but what a boring movie (for the most of it, that is). I'm being a big too harsh on it, but I expected a lot. What can I say: it looks good and it's rather stylish. All the 3 leading actors are CRAZY HOT. Though Goldie Hawn is more of a supporting actress here. The hair is fabulous, the clothes are fun :D
The screenplay is much better in the 2nd half and I guess it was the runner-up for the win (Al Pacino's Dog Day Afternoon won). Warren Beatty himself was the co-writter; he can do just about anything, can't he? I'd love to see him work again. To me, his performance was one of the best 2. The other one: nominee Jack Warden, playing Julie's Christie's rich old lover and the husband of Lee Grant (Oscar), one of Warren's lovers. Complicated stuff.
Though Jack Warden was good in this honest comedic performance, his competition was very serious, so no win for him. Lee Grant was ok, but she didn't really deserve the Oscar, as she was competing agains two of the Nashville ladies (Ronee Blakley would've been my choice). I guess her win was some kind of a career thing, cause it was her 3rd nomination and the other nominees were relatively unknown. The nomination for Art Direction is rather silly. :)
My rating for the film: 6/10. I just wished for it to be funnier and for Goldie Hawn to get better lines, because her role was rather dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment