Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Goodbye, Columbus (1969)


A Jewish man and a Jewish woman meet and while attracted to each other find that their worlds are very different. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Adapted Screenplay

Ihhh... I've been dragging this movie since forever. I realized from the start it's not gonna be the comedy it promised to be and so the film experience was really damaged. Goodbye Columbus really is a slow uneventful drama with uninteresting characters. Ali MacGraw looks good for a debut performance, but her acting doesn't rise higher than average.
Maybe there was a need for a more experienced actress, not that the role is that meaty. And unfortunately I didn't buy the love story: while watching I was continuously thinking the guy (Richard Benjamin in an ok performance) is waaaay out of his league and she's obviously too pretty for him. The screenplay itself brings nothing good to the table and the supporting characters do nothing to save the film.
My rating for the film: 4/10. I just don't see the point of it all, and the ending was a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment