Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Milk of Sorrow (2009)


Fausta is suffering from a rare disease called the Milk of Sorrow, which is transmitted through the breast milk of pregnant women who were abused or raped during or soon after pregnancy. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Foreign Language Film: Peru

I don’t want to write too much about this one. It probably didn’t deserve the Oscar nomination for this category, but hey: I’m sure there were much worse contenders. It’s not a bad movie really, it’s just not interesting enough and there isn’t much of a story… Not a bad direction… Nothing really sucks, but nothing to shine.

I appreciated the ethnicity of it and it looks like what I imagine to be an authentic portrayal of poor people from Peru. Yet, I guess at the end of it all I’ll still remember it as the movie with a girl who had a potato in her vagina. :) and that’s unfortunate, because it’s about more than that, and quite a dramatic story for that matter.

My rating for the film: 6/10. A good leading performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment