Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Illusionist (2010)


A French illusionist finds himself out of work and travels to Scotland, where he meets a young woman. Their ensuing adventure changes both their lives forever. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Animated Film

Coming back home from it last night, I wrote on the other blog: "The most beautiful animation I have ever seen; technically flawless. But it doesn't have enough soul" - and I stand by it, now, the day after. Because it did look gorgeous, like nothing I had seen before: the cinematography, if I can call it like that, it's incredible, the colors, the shots, the care for detail - hard to put into words.
But it still left me unsatisfied, especially the ending. Part of the fault, I think, is in the screenplay: I wish there would've been more of a story and I suspect it might've been an instant classic all around, had it had more dialogue and a writing I could relate to. The direction is great and I can only imagine the work that was put into the making of this film. Also, how silly it is that the Academy didn't recognize the marvelous music: which goes all throughout the film, without bothering at all.
My rating for the film: 7.5/10. How could I rate it? It's impressive, but I didn't emotionally relate to it. Hey, at least Despicable Me wasn't nominated.

4 comments:

  1. I have yet to see this but doesn't it seem like the most visually beautiful animated films have such unsatisfying screenplays? Kind of like "The Secret of Kells" last year...could have been SO fantastic, that animation is unbelievable, but its screenplay was definitely lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see this since I love Triplets of Belleville.


    Did you see that film? If you did , what did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Joe
    yes, I saw Triplets once, a couple of years ago and I liked it (not more than Finding Nemo, though). Triplets had a much better screenplay than Illusionist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Robert,

    yes, the foresc scenes from Secret of Kells really were magic. but story not that interesting, true.

    ReplyDelete