Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

Intrepid reporter Tintin and Captain Haddock set off on a treasure hunt for a sunken ship commanded by Haddock's ancestor. [imdb]


Nominated for 1 Oscar:


Best Original Score


You can tell the amount of work that went into making this film look as special at it does. Even so, I must admit I'm not a big fan of this type of animation: to me, it mostly looked like a very well made video game. sure, the big chasing scenes are amazing, but the way the characters look was a bit distracting from the story.


The story itself needs some warming up, because it only gets interesting after the first 30 minutes of so: but once it starts going, it's a great adventure, and the film was entertaining, with plenty of action scenes that were really suspenseful. The star here is Steven Spielberg, for orchestrating this and it really is well directed - again, if we get over the fact that I'm not cheering for this kind of animation. 


I don't remember much from the score, but it's John Williams, so it's gotta be good; though this one didn't feel specifically distinctive. I think it deserved an Animated Feature nomination, and I liked it slightly more than Rango, so I guess it should have won. 


My rating for the film: 7.5/10. I might've went with a different ending, but overall it was a fun ride.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely one for the kids, with some great set-pieces, but too much plot Steve.

    ReplyDelete