Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Week with Marilyn (2011) (2nd time)

Colin Clark, an employee of Sir Laurence Olivier's, documents the tense interaction between Olivier and Marilyn Monroe during production of The Prince and the Showgirl. [imdb]

Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Actress: Michelle Williams
Best Supporting Actor: Kenneth Branagh


This is a film I really wanted to like, but it didn't do it for me: and it's not just the obvious reason that I simply couldn't buy Michelle as Marilyn. That was a big factor, but the main problem is in the screenplay (isn't it always?!), for not making Marilyn enough of an interesting character.


I don't know how accurate this is, but she was presented either as a moody dumb blonde, or as a manipulative bitch or as a constant victim. There is nothing empowering about this character and I don't remember any particular scene in which I cared for her. Laurence Olivier is nicely written and beautifully portrayed by Branagh in a performance that deserved the Oscar recognition. Judi Dench is always a nice presence, Redmaybe was ok as the leading Colin Clark, but the most interesting character in the film was by far Paula Strasberg, nicely played by Zoe Wanamaker. It's not good writing, when in a film about Marilyn Monroe, I am intrigued only by Paula Strasberg.


I'll write about Michelle on the other blog. This film has issues with the casting (Julia Ormond as Vivien Leigh?? wtf), the screenplay is flawed and the ending just wrong. It's not that it's a complete failure, but nothing to get excited about.


My rating for the film: 5/10. I feel like had it been darker it would've been better.

2 comments:

  1. "the most interesting character in the film was by far Paula Strasberg, nicely played by Zoe Wanamaker."

    HIGH FIVE! Wanamaker made it to my ballot for Supporting Actress. A small yet intriguing role.

    Agreed that the script insists on giving us Marilyn the Cliche rather than offering any nuance or insight. And then everyone acts like they've given us the latter? Makes me all the sadder that Theron couldn't get arrested this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno if Zoe will make my list, but I much appreciated her presence in the film.

    I've actually seen some clips on Youtube of Marilyn from the A. Miller era. While I'm sure she was difficult to work with (because of the pills), I don't doubt that, she seemed like a much less extravagant person than they made her seem.

    ReplyDelete