Sunday, March 28, 2010

Love Story (1970) (2nd time)


Harvard Law student Oliver Barrett IV and music student Jennifer Cavalleri share a chemistry they cannot deny - and a love they cannot ignore. But fate has other plans. [imdb]

Nominated for 7 Oscars:

Best Picture
Best Director: Arthur Hiller
Best Actor: Ryan O'Neal
Best Actress: Ali MacGraw
Best Supporting Actor: John Marley
Best Original Screenplay
Best Original Score (WINNER)

After so many 2009 films I've watched recently (Oscar nominated or not), it was so nice to relax with some vintage stuff. I had seen Love Story just once, about 6-7 years ago. I wasn't impressed back then as I thought it to be an overrated blah. It still feels overrated, but it was nice, relaxing and seemed just a bit better the second time.
The Oscar win is much deserved, Francis Lai's music theme is fabulous and it became an instant classic. It's the best element of the film and no shame about it. The screenplay has some good one-liners and it definitely works better in the beginning. Seriously now, the Love means never having to say you're sorry is bullshit :) The direction was good, but the second strongest part is the acting. NOT Ali MacGraw, who's nomination feels kind of undeserving, but the men: Ryan O'Neal (whom I despise in real life) gives a good performance and the 2 supporting performances are terrific. John Marley makes a brief appearance, but he's incredible and deserved the nomination to say the least and Ray Milland gave a strong reliable performance (which I think should've been aknoledged).
My rating for the film: 7.5/10. It really should be a 7, but it has a nice flow and its simplicity can be charming at times.

1 comment:

  1. I also felt the same way. It's really kind of underwhelming at the start but it grows on me everytime I watch it again.

    Glad to see love for this beautiful film.

    ReplyDelete