Thursday, May 20, 2010

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)


After an encounter with UFOs, a line worker feels undeniably drawn to an isolated area in the wilderness where something spectacular is about to happen. [imdb]

Nominated for 8 Oscars:

Best Director: Steven Spielberg
Best Supporting Actress: Melinda Dillon
Best Cinematography (WINNER)
Best Original Score
Best Editing
Best Art Direction
Best Sound
Best Visual Effects
+ Special Achievement Award for Sound Editing

It so happens that I just never found a good enough reason to see this. I never expected it to be great, and it actually wasn't. To me, it looks more like an experimental student film. It has a consistent budget, but it lacks substance or something... anything... resembling a storyline. Better said, it's an excuse to try some visual effects stuff, without giving it much sense.

It's not bad, it's just a visual experience, of which I've seen better. The technical part is good and the best I can say about Close... is that it gave an iconic face to an alien species (short, with big round heads). I don't think any of the 2 leading noms are deserving, especially Melinda Dillon's as she gets so little to do. Thankfully, the film was not nominated for Best Picture, as I fully appreciate all 5 Oscar had chosen that year.

My rating for the film: 6/10. Give me Star Wars any time of day; different ball game, I know, I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment