Sunday, May 9, 2010

Going My Way (1944)


Going My Way is a light-hearted musical comedy/drama about a new young priest (Bing Crosby) taking over a parish from an established old veteran (Barry Fitzgerald). [wiki]

Nominated for 10 Oscars:

Best Picture (WINNER)
Best Director: Leo McCarey (WINNER)
Best Actor: Bing Crosby (WINNER)
Best Actor: Barry Fitzgerald
Best Supporting Actor: Barry Fitzgerald (WINNER)
Best Writing, Screenplay (WINNER)
Best Writing, Original Story (WINNER)
Best Cinematography, Black-and-White
Best Original Song (WINNER)
Best Editing

Only forced by my Best Picture series I have allowed myself to see the 17th Best Picture winner: Going My Way. Seeing the cast and the story, I knew it was going to be terribly cheesy and all-Bing-Crosby. It really was an effort to sit through it, especially in the first hour. From there on, it got better, even though all his singing got on my nerves.

A positive element of the film is Barry Fitzgerald, playing the older priest: his performance brings a bit of funny to the story and his Oscar win might just be deserved. He also holds the unusual distinction to be nominated for 2 acting categories in the same year for the same performance in the same film. It was a mistake from the Academy, which was corrected from there on.

I dislike Bing Crosby due to his private life, but objectively: his performance here is definitely NOT Oscar worthy. There’s nothing special to it and I guess he charmed the voters with his singing. The silliest win is for Best Director and by all means Going My Way is one of the most unfortunate Best Picture winners, considering heavy competition from Gaslight and especially Double Indemnity. Most of the acting is uninspired, the screenplay is quite simple and nothing shined fully in this production.

My rating for the film: 5/10. What lifts it up is the last chapter.

2 comments:

  1. One of my least favorite winners. An okay movie that simmply isn't Oscar-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry Fitzgerald was soooo brilliant IMO.

    ReplyDelete