Monday, May 17, 2010

The Lost Weekend (1945)


The desperate life of a chronic alcoholic is followed through a four day drinking bout. [imdb]

Nominated for 7 Oscars:

Best Picture (WINNER)
Best Director: Billy Wilder (WINNER)
Best Actor: Ray Milland (WINNER)
Best Writing, Screenplay (WINNER)
Best Cinematography, Black-and-White
Best Original Score
Best Editing

The 18th Best Picture winner is quite the serious movie, without being a war film. It deals with addiction and takes upon itself the social role of deglaming alcoholism. The Lost Weekend was the first of its kind, from what I hear, and it really tries to make a point without losing the artistic focus. It's the portrait of a man who can't help himself.
As a film, it's well directed, well written and with an Oscar worthy leading performance. Ray Milland IS the film and his acting goes from sympathetic to troubling, yet always on the mark; one of the best wins of this category. However, talking BP and Direction, I couldn't really tell. Though the film is serious, well made and important in a way, I didn't really enjoy watching it. Maybe it hit home,... I don't know. What's sure is that I respect it, but don't love it.
Billy Wilder won for a subtle direction, as I call them. Sometimes (Going My Way) this type of direction is hardly noticeable, but Wilder has a firm hand here, keeping a serious, uncompromising mood for the film and making it look believable.
My rating for the film: 7.5/10. I would've have wanted the other ending, the non-Hollywood one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment