Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Coraline (2009)


!!! Seen it in December 2009 !!!

An adventurous girl finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Animated Feature

Coraline is a well-made, colorful, stylish animated feature, that I admire, but definitely don't love because to me it felt inconsistent at times. It wasn't a ride that I fully enjoyed and it dragged at times. Even so, when it was good: it was really nice. Just as Mr. Fox, Coraline has great production stuff: the art direction, the "camera work" and especially the original score - all fit nicely!
But as I've complained: the story insisted too much at times on less interesting aspects. Was is really necessary to have that long, extended ending? Wasn't it a bit redundant? But we can forgive that, because the direction is great, the voices work nicely and the film itself just has this cooooool mood and feel to it.
My rating for the film: 8/10. A much deserved Oscar nomination.

1 comment:

  1. I did love Coraline but I thought it started to feel too much like a video game near the end. Such an artistically brilliant movie though!

    ReplyDelete