Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The White Ribbon (2009)


!!! Seen it in December 2009 !!!

Strange events happen in a small village in the north of Germany during the years just before World War I, which seem to be ritual punishment. [imdb]

Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Foreign Language Film: Germany
Best Cinematography

To my knowledge, this might be the most artistic film Michael Haneke has offered us so far. It's not a secret he's a very f*cked up director, but his style is quite unique and his direction fierce and innovative. My problem has always been with Haneke the screenplay writer, because he leaves behind way too many unanswered questions.
You know David Lynch often has no answer for them and just throws it outthere. But Haneke is just hiding the answers too deep and that makes the movie experience kind of frustrating. Who could figure out the ending of The White Ribbon? I didn't, I just have some ideas or alternatives. The technical part is flawless; the black-and-white cinematography is gorgeous and cold at the same time and the costume design and art direction really contribute to the mood of the film. The acting ensemble is among the best I've ever seen, giving us incredible child performances.
My rating for the film: 7/10. Why 7? I don't know. Because Haneke is stubborn and didn't give us an ending.

1 comment:

  1. His unwilligness to chew everything for us is what makes him unique and interesting. Maybe such kind of filmmaking is not your cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete