Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Invictus (2009)


!!! Seen it in December 2009 !!!

Nelson Mandela, in his first term as the South African President, initiates an unique venture to unite the apartheid-torn land: enlist the national rugby team on a mission to win the 1995 Rugby World Cup. [imdb]

Nominated for 2 Oscars:

Best Actor: Morgan Freeman
Best Supporting Actor: Matt Damon

I kind of feel sorry for Invictus, even though I didn't like it at all. It had a decent shot at a Best Picture nomination, because it's that type of a cliche that the Academy just loves. And it's Clint Eastwood, who is very respected, but I found his last 3 movies to be totally boring and unpleasant.
My problem with Invictus is that's is sooooo predictable and cheesy, from the stupid bodyguards to all that hooray team spirit bullshit. Nothing subtle about it, nothing to require too much attention or thought. Maybe except for Morgan Freeman's performance, which is NOT great, but it's the best thing about the movie, next to the original score. Matt Damon's nomination is a popularity vote and those slow moving scenes in the end just killed me.
My rating for the film: 4.5/10. I don't hate it, just not enough good stuff in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment