Sunday, March 27, 2011

127 Hours (2010)

Seen on January 16th, 2011

A mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Moab, Utah and resorts to desperate measures in order to survive. [imdb]

Nominated for 6 Oscars:
Best Picture
Best Actor: James Franco
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Original Score
Best Original Song
Best Editing

127 Hours is the kind of intense experience I would probably never watch twice; even so, it was hardly as brutal as I expected it to be. I thought Danny Boyle made a smart choice with that: keeping the difficult to watch scenes as short as possible and allowing us to spend enough time with the character so that the hand-thing becomes just an aspect of the film and not the defining one.

Other than that, of course the film is a bit over-directed, just like Slumdog was, and I've also had a bit of a problem with the cinematography - it gives an unique touch to the film, but everything is too colorful at times, too eye-popping that it distracts from the story and gives it an unnatural feeling.

The material is very good, so the film could've been better. But when it comes to the acting, I thought James Franco was sensational, making it look as believable as possible and definitely bringing some humanity in a couple of key scenes. A terrific performance, in my opinion.

My rating for the film: 8/10. And I still love If I Rise, it should've been a much stronger contender for Best Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment