Monday, March 7, 2011

Another Year (2010)


A look at four seasons in the lives of a happily married couple and their relationships with their family and friends. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Original Screenplay

I've waited quite a while to see this film, but that was not my choice. At one point, it was actually one of my most anticipated films of 2010 as all the raves about Lesley Manville made me curious. Also, I've really enjoyed Mike Leigh's 2 previous films and I wanted to see if he can continue making intriguing, believable, well acted motion pictures.
To me, Another Year is a bit of all that. The performances are the highlight: Lesley Manville is really something, but no wonder she didn't get a Best Actress nomination, because to me she's a supporting character in the film, and should've been campaigned as such. Ruth Sheen is quite great herself, in a subtle performance, and the other actors also deliver good, natural performances.
I know some people had issues with the story and the way it's constructed, I thought it was fine, some scenes slower than others, but overall good writing and nicely constructed dialogue. It IS a depressing film, but he surely didn't go too far with it. My favorite part has to be the final chapter and the film has a good ending. I don't think it's a brilliant film or a must-see, but it definitely kept me curious throughout.
My rating for the film: 8/10. Imelda Staunton is fabulous in a very limited role.

6 comments:

  1. I really want to see it! Should she have won in Supporting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, in my opinion: if she would've been nominated instead of Jacki Weaver, yes.

    if she AND Jacki Weaver were both nominatated (wouldn't have happened, but anyway), then it would've been tougher for me to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see it in the near future, if time allows!

    How would you have rated her if she entered the Best Actress race?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malcolm, I have no idea what to answer to that. :)

    I thought the performance was a bit inconsistent at first, but it's devastating in the final chapter. It would really be impossible to rate or rank, even though I'll have to do it when I announce my annual stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Year is so great! I don't think it was his best film as everyone was suggesting, but I still liked it a lot. And isn't Manville wonderful? She definitely would have scored a nod had people campaigned her for supporting, but I can see why she could be considered lead. She is the heart and soul of the movie in my opinion, and things only got interesting once Mary popped up, and the movie did end with the shot on her. But regardless, it's a travesty she didn't get into Lead or Supporting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I expect a supporting campaign would've meant a nomination, she managed one here in the UK.

    You clearly enjoyed the film better than I Alex. I still think it was far too plodding.

    ReplyDelete