Saturday, March 19, 2011

Animal Kingdom (2010)


Seen on January 5th, 2011

Tells the story of seventeen year-old J (Josh) as he navigates his survival amongst an explosive criminal family and the detective who thinks he can save him. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:

Best Supporting Actress: Jacki Weaver

Animal Kingdom is a good film. I liked it, I respected, I admired it. I was also a bit annoyed by the emotional blackmail, but other than that: it's such an enjoyable film to see. The screenplay & direction are smart & interesting, and the actors are quite great, so let's just go to Jacki Weaver. She is what makes the film so fascinating for me, because it's such a subtle, original performance.
Yes, I think she should've won the Oscar, but the nomination itself was a pleasant surprise, I admit I didn't think she'd make it. Because unfortunately not many people had seen Animal Kingdom, but the voters from the acting branch made justice and gave her the chance to compete. While I love the ending of the film (I do, I know some don't, I do), the final chapter is all about Jacki. She's fascinating, she's mesmerizing, she knows where the camera is, she knows how to keep you connected, how to make the performance special & unique, how to subtly show the vulnerable side of the character and how to fabulously deliver every.damn.line.
My rating for the film: 8/10. I hated the psychotic brother; but this is top 10 material.

5 comments:

  1. Great review, it makes me really want to see her performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a masterful performance in a wonderful film. It's really solid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best crime drama and best Aussie film I've seen for a long time. Really worth catching up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, AK really took me by surprise. I was in Athens that week, without internet at home and nothing else to see. I had it on my laptop and wow... I was pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it, and so much in part to Jacki Weaver. She was just SO brilliant. GAH I hope she gets more roles soon, I loved her so much in this movie.

    ReplyDelete