Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Fighter (2010)

Seen on January 15th, 2011
A look at the early years of boxer "Irish" Micky Ward and his brother who helped train him before going pro. [imdb]

Nominated for 7 Oscars:
Best Picture
Best Director: David O. Russell
Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale (WINNER)
Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams
Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo (WINNER)
Best Original Screenplay
Best Editing


This is a film that could've actually won Best Picture in a less complicated year. I didn't think it was very challenging when it came to the writing or the directing (though they're both fine), but it has a nice story people can relate to and it has some terrific acting.

I know many who appreciate Mark Wahlberg's performance, I thought he was just fine and it was a smart and generous choice for him to step back on the acting and let his co-stars really shine. Christian Bale is quite terrific, another character for him to get lost into - from the 5 nominees, I think he definitely deserved the win; he grabs all the attention everytime he's on screen. The 2 ladies are also great: Amy Adams delivers an unexpectedly bitchy performance, but always vulnerable and relatable. Melissa Leo is loud, but never cartoonish on screen and I thought overall she did a fantastic job, even though I would've voted for Jacki.

The film has its slow moments, but it's generally entertaining and it's always nice to see great actors giving some of their best performances.

My rating for the film: 8/10. Nothing more to add.

2 comments:

  1. I think you liked this more than I did. Just a little obvious for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might be the best film of 2010. I'm not kidding.

    ReplyDelete