Monday, March 9, 2009

Frozen River (2008) (2nd viewing)



A single mom living in a shitty town is in a desperate need for money, so she makes an illegal move by smuggling people across the border.

Nominated for 2 Oscars:
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Melissa Leo
Best Original Screenplay

After watching it for the 1st time, I said to myself: all they needed was a digital camera, a car, 2 women and a frozen river. It rarely gets more low budget, indier, than this. That's a problem for me. It's hard to focus on the film when the camera work is a mess and when 95% of the cast (the 5% representing Melissa Leo and the dude playing her son) is made out of amateurs.
Some scenes (like the strip club towards the end) are ridiculous and Razzie worthy.
But what you do get from the film is a screenplay with decent parts (the ending outshines the rest of it) and (I hate to admit it because I dislike her presence offscreen) a good performance from Melissa Leo.

I'll write about her performance on the other blog.
My rating for the film: 5/10 though it's really not that bad.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this movie, but is it just me or does the woman in that poster look nothing like Melissa Leo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I don't think they had money for... stunt doubles. or poster doubles. so I guess it's just photoshop.
    The poster is also deceiving about the cinematography or just the quality of the image. there's no blue thing going on in the movie.

    ReplyDelete