Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Incredibles (2004)

A family of undercover superheroes, while trying to live the quiet suburban life, are forced into action to save the world. [imdb]

Nominated for 4 Oscars:

Best Animated Feature (WINNER)
Best Original Screenplay
Best Sound Mixing
Best Sound Editing (WINNER)

I kind of suspected why I've avoided this film for years. Something told me that it's just not my type of animated. And I was probably right; especially seing it right after Monsters, inc.
The Incredibles is more serious that people give it credit. In certain parts it's like a family soap transformed into animation.

I don't know which kid would really like The Incredibles. The target must be 14+, cause otherwise it's very contradictory (reading the plot or watching a trailer would probably suggest something very kid friendly, but what about those sexual references). Anyway, I should stop being such a conservative bitch :)

For me, the 2nd half really saved it: why? because the drama was over and we could finally see some real ACTION. something fun, dynamic and less talk talk talk. The screenplay nomination is not worthy (but I understand it because it was a weak year). The win for Animated Feature does not please me (now I can say I prefer Shrek 2), but the one for Sound Editing is very very worthy. Oh, yeah: and the Holly Hunter voice was the wrong choice for the female character.

My rating for the film: 7.5/10. I just wish the fun had started earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment