Monday, March 9, 2009

Of Human Bondage (1934)

A sensitive disabled medical student falls in love with a wicked waitress (Bette Davis) who selfishly takes advantage of his generosity and feelings towards her.
Nominated for 1 Oscar*:
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Bette Davis (*write-in nomination)

I promise this is the only time I'll be cheating :D Some don't consider Bette Davis to be an actual nominee for this, as she wasn't on the official list, but written in to correct a fatal error. However, the film is included here.
This is Bette Davis' breakthrough performance and her bitchy mad speech towards the end is a classic and very representative of her future work. Is she perfect in this? How could I be objective as she is my favorite actress of all times?! But nomination worthy SHE WAS.
Yet, the film is messy and the passage of time doesn't do it any favors. The direction is way too simple and the screenplay is mostly superficial. If you ever get to see it, do it for Bette.

My rating for the film: 5.5/10 and I'm being very generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment