Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005) (2nd viewing)


Laura Henderson buys an old London theater and opens it up as the Windmill, a performance hall which goes down in history for, among other things, its all-nude revues.
Nominated for 2 Oscars:
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Judi Dench
Best Costume Design
This was a film I remembered as being fun, with a great 1930s soundtrack. Unfortunately, upon a 2nd viewing I found it to be a bit too light in the first part: and by this I mean less funny and with a too rushed script. However, it got better and by the end of it I found myself rather satisfied, again.
I could probably see anything with Judi Dench in it. I love her and can't be really subjective about her. Her nomination is debatable, but as it was a weak category that year, it wasn't a surprise. Mrs Henderson Presents is more of a dramedy than a comedy or musical. The 2nd half is much more drama and you know what?, it works; I even appreciated some screenplay touches.
My rating for the film: 7.5/10. See it if you haven't already or have forgotten it. It's relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment