Sunday, March 15, 2009

Murphy's Romance (1985)


A divorced mother moves to a small, rural, Arizona town and becomes friends with an older man. An unusual attraction arises.
Nominated for 2 Oscars:
Best Actor in a Leading Role: James Garner
Best Cinematography
It's a typical 80s film that I was curious about seing for years. It's not a comedy, it's not a drama. Romance would be the right word. The 1st half is slower, the second one is better, the dialogue is sharper and the ending is quite interesting.
I said it's a typical 80s because of its look: the cheesy wrong music, the cinematography and almost even the direction.
The performances are good (not spectacular) and none Oscar worthy, though I must say Sally Field was sweet as hell; I tried to think of an actress nowadays that would match her charm, but a name hasn't popped up yet. Garner's nomination must be some kind of an honorary thing. He does a great job, but the role's not that demanding.
The title IS a bit misleading. A sweet quiet film with a sweet actress. But I would say: for Oscar fans only or for Sally Field fans. My rating for the film: 7.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment