Saturday, November 9, 2013

Anna Karenina (2012)

**Seen in January 2013**

Set in late-19th-century Russia high-society, the aristocratAnna Karenina enters into a life-changing affair with the affluent Count Vronsky. [imdb]


Nominated for 4 Oscars:
Best Cinematography
Best Original Score
Best Production Design
Best Costume Design
 (WINNER)

One of my favourite books of all time gets a new adaptation and they opt for the least inspired casting choices for the 2 leads. What to do that to actively dislike?

Joe Wright (director of two films I LOVE: Atonement and Pride & Prejudice), you are free to do whatever you want, but I CAN'T approve of the "world is a stage" idea... Maybe out of budget reasons, but it's Anna Karenina, damn it. Give me Russia, or don't give me anything.

But the stage-thing is not its biggest downfall. Keira is... fine. But not "woman enough" to play Anna. The guy who plays Vronki... please, let's not even go there. And, as if it needed saying, you can't do Anna Karenina in only 2 hours.

My rating for the film: 6/10. With all that put aside, I very much approve of the win for Costume Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment