Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Great Gatsby (1974)

**Seen in June 2013**

A Midwesterner becomes fascinated with his nouveau riche neighbor, who obsesses over his lost love. [imdb]


Nominated for 2 Oscars:
Best Music, Scoring Original Song Score and/or Adaptation (WINNER)
Best Costume Design
 (WINNER)

Since I was planning on seeing the 2013 version, I thought it would only seem fair to give this a try also. I had never seen it. I had read the book in high-school, but I was not really a fan. So I saw it: and, honestly, it fails.

After seeing it, it makes sense why it didn't receive any major Oscar nominations: the film moves very slowly, and it's quite boring for most of the time. It has no rhythm, and too little excitement. The acting coming from the two actors feels very stiff. Karen Black is best in show (and won the Golden Globe for it), but Oscar didn't bother to include her in the Supporting Actress line-up.

The costumes are very beautiful, but the film is very forgettable.

My rating for the film: 5/10. Mia, I expected better.

No comments:

Post a Comment