Saturday, November 9, 2013

Les Miserables (2012)

**Seen in January 2013**

In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after breaking parole, agrees to care for a factory worker's daughter. The decision changes their lives for ever. [imdb]


Nominated for 8 Oscars:
Best Picture
Best Actor: Hugh Jackman

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway
 (WINNER)
Best Original Song
Best Production Design
Best Costume Design
Best Sound Mixing
 (WINNER)
Best 
Makeup and Hairstyling (WINNER)
I like the story, I couldn't finish the book. I like (some of) the songs, I don't like the film. Hard for me to write about it, since it's been a while - well, that's not the problem. The problem is I didn't like it, and it's hard to say why. Some of the acting is good; regardless of what they say, Hugh Jackman is best in show, and not Anne Hathaway (she is fine, if not difficult to judge because the performance relies so much on the wings of that famous song). But I like Hugh, quite a lot, he is very touching in that final church scene.
The rest of the performances range from cartoonish to ok to not so good to ignorable. I didn't like anything connected to that "revolution", and the screenplay is messy because of all the plot holes & such. The directing is pretty bad itself.

My rating for it: 5.5/10. Though it's quite unrankable, really. A tough film to read, because it goes to all sorts of extremes.

No comments:

Post a Comment